Thursday, November 17, 2011

awesome cacti at the Botanical Garden greenhouse

Okay so. These are old pictures, but still very cool. Basically what happened was that I went to the Botanical garden for my photography class, and I saw that the door for one of the greenhouses where they store cacti was open and there was someone in there working. So I asked if I could come in, and started talking with Jorge, who worked with the cacti.

Keep in mind, there were at least 2 hundred cacti specimens, by my conservative estimate. That day, I took more pictures of cacti than of the stuff I was supposed to take pictures of, since I had once-in-a-lifetime access to the cacti. I eventually just got overwhelmed by the number of awesome cacti.

I also asked about volunteer work, and was led to a guy who said I needed to go to a meeting, and that I had just missed the meeting for this month. Unfortunately, the place was really far away and the meeting was right after finals, so I didn´t go. Sorry about the crappy quality in any of the photos. And by that, I mean a lot of them are blurry, so you can´t really see the plant OR what its name is. But the ones you can see are really neat. :)

Also, more fast news: I went to the Kosher McDonalds. Best damn McDonalds hamburger of my LIFE! Seriously, it didnt even have condiments on it and it was SO DELICIOUS. And it had REAL MEAT. IN A HAMBURGER!!!! AT MCDONALDS!!!!! And the best part: It wasn´t a higher price than at other McDonaldses!
Now back to your normally sceduled cacti.

But first, my feet. This was in Iguazu, me lounging in a hammock by the pool on the day that we were supposed to be going back by plane, but didn´t.




































Jorge had me take special notice of this. This looks like it might be Lobivia, if I remember correctly, which I probably don´t but oh well. But yeah, cool 2-headed flowering cactus.



I believe he said that this was the same type as the yellow one above.

























































This moth was enormous and got caught in the house, possibly taking refuge from the rain. I spent like twenty minutes following it around and finally got it to land on a napkin and took it outside.

hard to see the scale, but that silver thing in the lower right is a fairly large sugar holder of a tea time tray. So, this moth was HUGE. I´d say like 3.5 in wingspan.

No comments:

Post a Comment